The Inn was built in 1890 as the summer home of wealthy bachelor, Howard Conkling. Howard Conkling was a lawyer from New York City, and a member of the New York State Assembly. He was well traveled and wrote multiple books of his travels. No expense was spared for his home. A 12 foot beamed ceiling, chestnut wainscoting and fabulous keyhole staircases enhance the spacious Great Room, now used as the Guest Sitting Area.
In 1926, Howard Ketchum purchased the home for use as a summer residence. The Ketchum family owned a factory in Lake Luzerne which made tags for the ears of cattle. The Ketchum Manufacturing Company still exists today. They enjoyed the summers in Lake Luzerne along with their two daughters until the 1980s.
Purchased in 1984 from the Ketchum Estate, the summer home was restored by Gene and Linda Merlino. Gene and Linda were both in the Textile business. Gene managed a textile engraving plant; Linda was a textile artist with a background in fashion illustration and watercolor. The two purchased the
vacant estate in August 1984, and then
married in October 1984 to start a new chapter.